MHS Voice

Sexual harassment no longer in the shadows

After+several+high-profile+sexual+harassment+cases%2C+the+%23MeToo+movement+has+spread+across+social+media.+Women+have+used+the+hashtag+as+a+way+to+bring+awareness+to+the+issue%2C+and+it+has+started+a+discussion+about+a+topic+that+many+women+have+felt+couldn%27t+be+discussed+without+consequences.+A+recent+survey+revealed+that+55%25+of+Manila%27s+female+teachers+have+been+a+victim+of+sexual+harassment+at+some+point+in+their+lives.+
After several high-profile sexual harassment cases, the #MeToo movement has spread across social media. Women have used the hashtag as a way to bring awareness to the issue, and it has started a discussion about a topic that many women have felt couldn't be discussed without consequences. A recent survey revealed that 55% of Manila's female teachers have been a victim of sexual harassment at some point in their lives.

Nadia Brown

Nadia Brown

Siarra Fleeman

In the world around us, people are now not scared to say that they have been sexually harassed in their lives. More and more celebrities are being accused and charged with sexual harassment that now women are not scared to speak out against it.

Back before people were accused of this, women were scared to speak out about it. Nowadays it isn’t that unusual for women to talk about it. The whole world thinks it is funny that females have dealt or will deal with this. The world turns away as females try fighting for this to stop.

Females that deal with this are more likely to have depression and anxiety. From a personal standpoint on this, I think that how men have been getting away with this for so long is sick. It’s not right that men can get away with this. I learned the hard way that you can speak out about it even if no one wants to hear about it. If you talk about it enough then people will decide that it’s real and needs to be stopped.

This is something that needs to be taken into account that it’s not just boys being boys. It’s not just her asking for it because of the way she acts or dresses. Men need to be taught how to treat women. Women that tell their stories are strong because some women are too scared to speak out about it. No one should have to go through the pain of looking in the mirror hiding how they feel no one should have to worry about that.