MHS Voice

Solutions exist for bullying

Nadia Brown

Note – This is the third installment of a multi-part series of staff opinion pieces regarding the issue of bullying.

Bullying has been a problem for pretty much forever. It may seem like there is no way to fix it, but there are some things that can be done to help reduce this epidemic.

One way is to have trustworthy adults for students to confide in. Students need to be able to report bullying to someone they know will keep them anonymous and actually do something about it. Usually when someone tells that they are being bullied, no one does anything, and that makes the person reluctant about coming forward about it again.

Something else that happens is when someone tells the teacher about it, when the teacher confronts the bully, they might tell the name of the person that reported them. That would just make the bully angry, and they would start being even meaner to the victim.  

Another solution would be for other students to stand up for their peers. Instead of just watching or joining in, they need to put a stop to it. The victim will seem less vulnerable if they have someone standing up for them, so the bully may back off. Students can also confront the person about what they are doing, and how it is wrong.

Kids also need to think about what they say before they say it. Sometimes they may not realize what they say could hurt someone’s feelings. Or they will say it behind the person’s back, or spread rumors about them. They need to think of how they would feel if someone said those things about them.

The victim can also do things to help themselves. They can try and find new friends if their current friends are mean to them. They can just tell the bully to stop, and if they won’t, tell a teacher or parent. Also, if someone says something to them that makes them feel bad, especially as a joke, they need to let that person know, because they may not even realize that it bothered them.

If someone is being cyberbullied they need to save the evidence to show to an adult so that they can prove what is happening. Also, they should not respond to the perpetrator, since they are just trying to get a reaction. People should keep their passwords private so no one can get on their account and put stuff on it. Another option is to simply block the person.