MHS Voice

Filed under Showcase, Sports

Cross country holds first home meet

Freshman+Connor+Jackson+crosses+the+finish+line+in+first+place+for+the+junior+boys.+
Freshman Connor Jackson crosses the finish line in first place for the junior boys.

The cross country team held their first meet of the season. The Thrilla in Manila took place on Tuesday, August 29th.

“I appreciate our community’s support as we hosted the Thrilla in Manila, our first ever cross country meet, and I look forward to this becoming an annual event,”  Coach Mary Smith said.

The members of the cross country team are very supportive of each other. They are very welcoming to new members joining in the run.

“Even if you don’t like running you should still think about doing cross country because you may have a talent that you would have never thought you had,” Annabeth Baugher said.

“Every member of the team is important, not just the first five runners, so everyone needs to do their best,” Vivian Pryor said.

The outcome of the races was excellent. Our junior high boys placed first as a team. In the top 25 the boys had Connor Jackson placing first, Jake Baltimore placing second, Austin Harmon placing third, Brayden Mattingly placing sixth, Connor Milligan placing 10th, Drew Hogan placing 12th, Landon King placing 14th, and Mario Lopez placing 16th.

Our junior high girls that made top 25 were Sadie McDonald in fifth place, Madison Hitchcock in sixth place, Olivia May in ninth place, Annabeth Baugher in eighth place, and Sadie Massey in 12th place. They also got first place as a team.

Our senior high boys that placed in the top 25 were Brian Gonzalez in second place, Conner Belew in sixth place, Brady Woodall in 10th place, Daley Belew in 15th place, and Trenton Thomas in 25th place. They got second place as a team.

Our senior high girls that made top 25 were Madison Bibbs in 14th place and Micah Beach in 25th place. In total there were 11 teams that showed up to the event and an incredible amount of supporters there.

“Last place is still great,” Alicia Ramirez said.