MHS Voice

Gun violence demands action

Nadia Brown

In the past few months, there has been a lot of buzz around the topic of gun violence. People have been going on marches, and it has been in the news a lot. In my opinion, I think that it is good that this is being discussed because it is about time for a change.

I think that gun regulations should be much stricter. They should have more thorough background and psychological checks, and they should have them redone every couple of years. I also think the age should be higher to get a gun. I think this should happen because then dangerous people would have a harder time getting guns. Yes, I know they could still get them, but it would not be nearly as easy. And other countries have done things like this, and it has worked for them. They have so few school shootings, but we have had several just three months into the year.

Also, they should definitely not arm teachers in my opinion. There are teachers that are bad people, and that would hurt the kids or even just use the threat of the gun to intimidate them. There would also probably be kids sho would find a way to get to the gun and hurt someone. Plus, it would be so expensive to give them guns and training, it just wouldn’t be worth it.

I also don’t think teenagers and even little kids should have to worry about being shot while they are trying to learn at school. We shouldn’t have to have such frequent discussions about how we would escape or where we would hide. It is just another thing to worry about, another layer of stress over kids that already have enough anxieties. I think that it is great that kids are finally standing up for themselves, and trying to make a change to make everyone safer.