MHS Voice

Discover depth in your reading- It will change your future

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bari Collard and Siarra Fleeman comparing their books on a tablet. Photo by  Alysa Shumate.

Bari Collard and Siarra Fleeman comparing their books on a tablet. Photo by Alysa Shumate.

Anna Beth Baugher

Literature has been a driving force in society since the beginning of time. It acts as a handbook for the future, documenting the stories of our world’s past. It is a place where people can go to learn more about their unique, individual passions. Most of all, literature is an art. It has the ability to transport humans into an infinite plethora of worlds that do not have limits. Stories allow you to explore millions of personalities and places, all while learning about yourself in the process.
Being able to read literature in a fluent and understanding manner is a capability that can be of use in almost every situation, including academic environments. Reading improves focus and concentration, as it takes eye control and coordination to decode the words. It also allows you to learn at your own pace and preference while developing your vocabulary level. All of these elements work together to produce efficient test-takers and students.
As a teenager in this day and age, I understand how hard it is to find the time to read, much less enjoy it. Most live a busy lifestyle, running from one activity to the next. The many technological advances in the last century have also had an impact on the significance of reading a good book. When you do catch a break, there are simply too many other ways to amuse yourself.
Nevertheless, it can be done. Mobile books have become my ally, especially free ones. When I find myself in settings where the people around me are on their phones, I dive into a book.
What makes reading so enjoyable for me is that I don’t see it as a chore. I read the words and make inferences, questioning what the author wants me to take away from that particular sentence or paragraph. I have noticed that most of the time when a person calls a book boring, they never decipher the true meaning behind the story. They only scratch the surface.
With that being said, reading cannot be condensed to a book or magazine. When you are reading a news article on your phone or researching something on the internet, try to carry the information with you. In my opinion, the purpose of reading is to retain knowledge and apply it to your life.
I’m not the perfect reader, but I refuse to believe that reading is boring. You only have to find content that appeals to you, and from there, your outlook on literature will change. It is essential that we as a society keep reading and writing because every time a person reads, they grow- and growth is necessary.